Jesse Bercowetz               Paul Brainard                David B. Frye                  Ben Godward               Luisa Kazanas                 Gwendolyn Skaggs                Jacqueline Skaggs      Chris Uphues                Doug Young
Alcove was founded by artist Gwendolyn Skaggs, founder of SUGAR








an exhibition of w...
By Gwendolyn Skaggs


Indianapolis, IN Midland Art Center
May 1, 2009 to June 13, 2009


Opening Reception: May 1, 2009 6-9pm
Midland Art Center
907 East Michigan Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202

Monday through Saturday - 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Sunday - noon to 5 p.m.



View Larger Map


Gwendolyn Skaggs 917-443-1986 New York, NY 09.04.09 - 10.08.09


mission statement




Gwendolyn Skaggs (IN)
website



"it's not about "where" you are, as much as it is about "who" you are and "what" you gather and give."


corresponding pages from Elephant Ears (an object d'art)
Wendaferd Press 2009
a scene from a Billy Graham crusade
a scene from a stoop






I was born to a carpenter and an artist/activist/homemaker in Indiana, right smack-dab in the middle of the middle class and white culture. I am number 7 of 8. I thought I wanted to be a draftsman. I chose to explore art. I went from Indiana to Southern California, and back to Indiana. I tried Chicago and Baltimore. I wanted extreme diversity, deep tones and rich contrast. New York is a nice fit. A good challenge. A great competitor. When I create art of any medium I trust my intuitions, I am driven by the "tug and pull" effect (both physically and metaphorically) of an artwork, whether 2d or 3d.